Showing 9 results

Authority record
Corporate body

All Souls' Chapel

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1888-

All Souls' Chapel is an historic chapel attached to St. Peter's Cathedral in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. As described in Wikipedia, All Souls' Chapel was built as a memorial to Father George Hodgson, the first "priest-incumbent" of St. Peter's Cathedral. The building was designed by noted ecclesiastical architect William Critchlow Harris. The chapel's walls feature paintings by his brother, Robert Harris. The chapel was built by Lowe Brothers of Charlottetown and the woodwork was carved by Messrs Whitlock and Doull.

There are three roundels by Robert Harris set in the front of the altar, depicting (1) Christ breaking bread at Emmaus on the day of his resurrection; (2) the crucifixion of Christ; and (3) Christ administering the chalice to communicants. The arched reredos is typical of William Harris's style, containing statues of Christ and his apostles. Christ stands in the centre, with St. John and St. James standing to his right and St. Peter to his left, while other apostles, including St. Paul, carry the instruments used to put them to death.

A tabernacle containing the Reserved Sacrament stands behind the altar cross, while to the right of the altar is the credence table on which the bread and wine are placed before the offertory. Around the sanctuary walls are portraits of St. Luke the Evangelist as a memorial to Robert Harris and St. James the Just as a memorial to Canon James Simpson, who played an important role in planning the chapel. The round painting above the reredos is of Christ ascending to Heaven.

All Souls' Chapel was designated a heritage resource by the City of Charlottetown in 1979 and a National Historic Site of Canada.

Anglican Church Women of Prince Edward Island

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1897-2017

The following background information is adapted from the Anglican Church of Canada Archives website at https://www.anglican.ca/archives/holdings/fonds/womans-auxiliary-fonds/

The constitution for the Anglican Church Women outlines its mission as follows: "Anglican Church Women of Canada is a loosely knit fellowship of all women of the Anglican Church of Canada and others who agree with and support the purpose of the Anglican Church Women of Canada. The purpose is to give the women of the Anglican Church the opportunity to unite in a fellowship of worship, study and service which will lead them into Christian service in the parish, community, diocese, nation, and world."

The Woman’s Auxiliary was founded in April 1885 “for the promotion of missionary effort”. The first president was Margaret Medley, wife of the Bishop of Fredericton and Archbishop of the Province of Canada. Roberta E. Tilton of Ottawa was the major force in organizing both diocesan and parochial branches and in promoting the affiliation of existing groups and societies.

The “Letter Leaflet” was a monthly publication first produced in the Diocese of Toronto. It expanded and became the W.A.’s official publication and in 1923 it was renamed “The Living Message”.

The W.A. was reorganized in 1908 following the founding of the Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada (MSCC) to conform to the structure of General Synod. Caroline M. Patterson Hall was elected president and the first meeting of the General Board was held in Winnipeg.

Initially the work of the W.A. included mission education among Girls; Juniors and Little Helpers (Babies) branches; support of women working as missionaries and assistants in Japan (later China and India) and on Indian Reserves; Dorcas work and financial support for the education of missionaries children. A pension fund for women missionaries was established in 1910. In 1912 after several years of discussion the W.A. agreed to assume responsibility for work with women and children overseas. This included additional budgeted expenditures for evangelism, schools and hospitals. This agreement was extended to the Canadian mission field in 1919.

In 1928 the general meeting became annual. Recognizing an expanded social service role in 1931 the W.A. added a clause to its Constitution governing its cooperation with the General Board of Religious Education (GBRE) and the Council for Social Service (CSS).

In 1966 the constitution was amended and the Woman’s Auxiliary became the Anglican Church Women (ACW). Integration with General Synod was agreed as a national goal and took place in 1973. Since that time the organization exists by choice at the diocesan and parish levels.

According to E. M. Malone and Major T. E. Mcnutt, The Church in the Island Province (1932), p. 118, the first branch of the Women's Auxiliary in the Maritimes was established in 1897 at St. Peter's Cathedral.

As noted in the Anglican Church Women archives, the Prince Edward Island branch of the Anglican Church Women was dissolved in June 2017. Since then St. Peter's Cathedral has maintained the Binney Group and Inglis Group as active women's groups within the church.

Binney Group

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1968-

The St. Peter's Cathedral Binney Group was originally the evening branch of St. Peter's Anglican Church Women but was renamed by Archdeacon G.S. Tanton in 1968, in honour of the fourth bishop of the Diocese, Bishop Hibbert Binney, who served as bishop from 1851 to 1887 and who was instrumental in the establishing of St. Peter's Cathedral Parish. The Binney Group of women meet once a month for a business meeting and undertake numerous fund-raising events for the parish. Together with the St. Peter's Cathedral Inglis Group, the Binney Group provides "refreshments" at numerous parish events, meetings, etc.

Diocesan Church Society

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1840-?

In the late 1700s, as the Church of England became established in Canada, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (S. P. G.) supported clergymen, providing funds to support living costs and to assist with other expenses. in the early 1800s, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (S. P. C. K.) took on the task of supplying books for use of churches in different parts of the country, working alongside the S. P. G.

A "Church Society of the Archdeaconry of New Brunswick" was formed in 1837 to take over the duties of the S. P. G. and S. P. C. K, such as to carry out missionary visits, establish scholarships for study, provide aid for Sunday Schools and other schools, supply books and tracts, and aid in the building and expansion of churches. In 1847, that society was renamed "The Diocesan Church Society of New Brunswick" and expanded its mission to provide support for the construction of parsonages and to create a fund to help with incapacitated clergy, widows and orphans of clergy, and the children of clergy. A comparable society was founded in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in 1840, and incorporated in 1852. Other societies were formed in other parts of Canada, apparently often in response to diminishing financial support from the Church in England. The Society was still in existence as of 2007.

Inglis Group

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1990-

The St. Peter's Cathedral Inglis Group was originally the senior branch of St. Peter's Anglican Church Women but was renamed in 1990 in honour of Bishop Charles Inglis, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Nova Scotia (with episcopal jurisdiction over Prince Edward Island). He was bishop from 1787 until 1816. Together with the St. Peter's Cathedral Binney Group, the Inglis Group provides "refreshments" at numerous parish events, meetings, etc.

Mothers' Union -- Prince Edward Island Chapter

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1982-1995

The Mothers’ Union was founded in England in 1876 by Mary Sumner, who wanted to create an organization for women that built a network of rich and poor to support mothers to raise their children in Christian faith. By 1909, the Mothers’ Union had become the largest voluntary women’s organization in Britain. In 1952, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II granted her royal patronage to the Mothers’ Union. In 1996, some 125 members of the Mothers’ Union became priests in the Church of England, following the Synod’s approval of the ordination of women.

The Prince Edward Island chapter of the Mothers’ Union was formed in March 1982. Among the activities undertaken by the local group included: hosting pancake breakfasts on the first day of Sunday School in early September; baking simnel cakes (a form of fruitcake) as part of Mothering Sunday; participating in the annual Christmas pageant; stitching needlepoint covers for church kneelers; organizing “Winter Games” events (evening gatherings of parishioners and others to play card games and board games in the church hall in winter); and holdings prayer sessions and meetings for members. The Mothers’ Union also provided support for refugees and newcomers to the Island and created a “link letters” activity comparable to “pen pals”. An Island-wide renewal meeting was held in November 1988. A major project for the Prince Edward Island chapter was the creation of a Mothers’ Union banner, which was unveiled on 24 May 1992. The banner still hangs in the church, as of 2020. Mothers’ Union activities began to decline as the Binney Group and Inglis Group became more active, eventually ceasing operations around 1995.

Rural Deanery

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1909-?

The Rural Deanery was formed in 1909 after the dissolution of the Clerical Association of P.E.I. The Clerical Association had been formed in Crapaud, Prince Edward Island, in 1887 to provide licensed Anglican clergy with the opportunity to meet to pray, socialize, and plan church and community events. The Rural Deanery continued the same general activities. The closure of the Rural Deanery is still to be confirmed.

St. Peter's Cathedral Church

  • Canada PEI SPCA
  • Corporate body
  • 1867-

As noted on the St. Peter's Cathedral Church website, the founding of St. Peter's was directly linked to a theological and liturgical revival of the Catholic tradition within Anglicanism, known as the Oxford or Tractarian Movement. This Movement began in England in the 1830's, and spread throughout the Anglican Communion worldwide. By the 1860's, some parishioners of the already long-established St. Paul's Church, in Charlottetown, had been exposed to the Oxford Movement through their travels, and wanted to erect a new church building where the teachings and liturgical observances of that movement could be reflected and practiced.

As noted in Wikipedia, St. Peter's, located on Rochford Square, corner of All Souls' Lane and Rochford Street, Charlottetown, was designated a cathedral in 1879 by Bishop Hibbert Binney, the Bishop of Nova Scotia. Over the years, it has served as a second cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Nova Scotia (now called Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island). (The principal cathedral of the diocese is All Saints' Cathedral in Halifax, Nova Scotia.) Attached to the west side of the cathedral is All Souls' Chapel, which was designated as a National Historic Site in 1990.

Land for the new church was made available by Mr. William Cundall, and construction began in 1867. By the spring of 1869, the building was completed, and Mr. Cundall then officially gave the land to the church on June 1, 1869. The opening services were held on June 13 of that year, but the Cathedral was not consecrated until the Feast of St. Peter, June 29, 1879. It was constructed in an area of the city known as West Bog. St. Peter's School was opened in 1872 the girls' school three years later. [[confirm when they closed]]

Following Oxford Movement traditions, choir members have worn surplices since the opening of the church. As early as 1872 the Rood Screen was erected and the seven hanging lamps placed in the sanctuary. The envelope system was adopted in 1876, and the pews have always been free. Altar candles have been used since 1877, and Eucharistic vestments since 1889. Originally, chairs were used at St. Peter's. In 1928, these were replaced by pews of dark walnut-coloured Douglas fir. The pulpit is the design of William Critchlow Harris, the brother of Robert Harris the artist, whose paintings beautify All Souls' Chapel. William Critchlow Harris was also the architect of All Souls' Chapel. The High Altar (complete with an Altar Stone) is still in its traditional position. Behind the Altar are statues of the Lord and four evangelists (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).

The first priest incumbent was Reverend George W. Hodgson, who served from 1869 to 1885. After Reverend Hodgson's death, Father Armstrong from Toronto and Father Smythe from the West Indies acted on an interim basis until Canon James Simpson was appointed the second Priest Incumbent in 1886 [[1887?]], serving until his death in 1920. A former master at Port Hope School, Canon Simpson had as his assistant the Reverend Thomas Henry Hunt. Canon Simpson, along with Mr. William Critchlow Harris (architect) and Mr. Robert Harris, C.M.G. (artist), were largely responsible for the creation of All Souls' Chapel.

Canon Elwyn Mortimer Malone, originally from Antigua, followed Canon Simpson, serving from 1921 to 1952. It was during his tenure of office that the property ceased to be vested in Trustees and was turned over to the Rector, Wardens, and Vestry.

In 1952 Canon Gerald E. Moffatt became Rector of the Cathedral, serving until 1958. Archdeacon J. R. Davies became Rector in 1958 and remained until 1967. Archdeacon G. S. Tanton, the second Islander to serve at St. Peter's after George Hodgson, became Rector in 1967, retiring in 1975. [[1974 or 1975?]]

In 1974, Canon H. M. D. Westin became the seventh Parish Priest and served until his retirement in October 1990. Aside from his spiritual and pastoral work as a dedicated priest, he is remembered for his founding of what is now the annual Atlantic Theological Conference, which continues to be held annually. To publish the proceedings of these conferences, St. Peter Publications was established in [[year]]. It publishes a book containing the papers presented at the previous year's theological conference, as well as "A Canadian Church Calendar", Common Prayer Commentaries, a Sunday School curriculum, and numerous books, pamphlets and tracts. For a number of years, St. Peter Publications also produced a quarterly periodical, The Anglican Free Press.

The next Rector, The Reverend Canon Peter Harris, from Nova Scotia, served for almost two years as Assistant Priest, starting in April 1989, before being appointed Rector at the end of 1990, continuing to the end of November 2014. The Reverend David Garrett succeeded Canon Harris as Rector in December 2014.

A new parish hall attached to the cathedral was erected in 2004, replacing an older hall that had stood on that site for over 100 years.

The Choir of St. Peter's

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1869-2020

Music has been a central part of St. Peter's Cathedral since the 1860s, as evidenced by the archives in the church's collection. The choir normally rehearses once a week and sings the main Sunday morning Eucharist throughout the year. Major festivals and holy days are celebrated with Solemn Evensong and Benediction, often followed by a parish social event. Special services include the Advent Carol Service on the First Sunday in Advent, and a full range of Holy Week services, including the Easter Vigil. Each year, on Ascension Day, the choir sings a Latin Mass, alternating year about between a Renaissance and a Classical setting, the latter of which is accompanied by a small orchestra.

The choir's other social and fundraising activities have included selling cookbooks, holding yard sales, organising coffee hour treats, and so on.

Walter ("Bunny") MacNutt served as both organist and choirmaster from ca. 1944-1946. Gwen Patterson served as choir director and Suzanne Brenton as organist in the late 1960s to early 1971. Alan Reesor served as organist and choir master from February 1971 to his retirement in June 2015. In 2020, Glory Jay serves as organist and interim choir director as the church searches for a permanent replacement.