According to research in Ancestry.ca, William Rufus Lockhart was born on September 14, 1893, in Petitcodiac, New Brunswick, to father Edwin and mother Lyla. William's brother was Frank Edwin Lockhart (1883-1916) was killed on April 8, 1916, in Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, during the First World War. William married Mary Jane McCully in 1918 in Petitcodiac. William died on May 23, 1962, in Petitcodiac. The relationship between the Lockharts and St. Peter's Cathedral Church, and the reason St. Peter's Cathedral Church Archives has a scrapbook compiled by the two brothers, is unknown.