Showing 15 results

Authority record
St. Peter Cathedral Archives

All Souls' Chapel

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1888-

All Souls' Chapel is an historic chapel attached to St. Peter's Cathedral in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. As described in Wikipedia, All Souls' Chapel was built as a memorial to Father George Hodgson, the first "priest-incumbent" of St. Peter's Cathedral. The building was designed by noted ecclesiastical architect William Critchlow Harris. The chapel's walls feature paintings by his brother, Robert Harris. The chapel was built by Lowe Brothers of Charlottetown and the woodwork was carved by Messrs Whitlock and Doull.

There are three roundels by Robert Harris set in the front of the altar, depicting (1) Christ breaking bread at Emmaus on the day of his resurrection; (2) the crucifixion of Christ; and (3) Christ administering the chalice to communicants. The arched reredos is typical of William Harris's style, containing statues of Christ and his apostles. Christ stands in the centre, with St. John and St. James standing to his right and St. Peter to his left, while other apostles, including St. Paul, carry the instruments used to put them to death.

A tabernacle containing the Reserved Sacrament stands behind the altar cross, while to the right of the altar is the credence table on which the bread and wine are placed before the offertory. Around the sanctuary walls are portraits of St. Luke the Evangelist as a memorial to Robert Harris and St. James the Just as a memorial to Canon James Simpson, who played an important role in planning the chapel. The round painting above the reredos is of Christ ascending to Heaven.

All Souls' Chapel was designated a heritage resource by the City of Charlottetown in 1979 and a National Historic Site of Canada.

Anglican Church Women of Prince Edward Island

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1897-2017

The following background information is adapted from the Anglican Church of Canada Archives website at https://www.anglican.ca/archives/holdings/fonds/womans-auxiliary-fonds/

The constitution for the Anglican Church Women outlines its mission as follows: "Anglican Church Women of Canada is a loosely knit fellowship of all women of the Anglican Church of Canada and others who agree with and support the purpose of the Anglican Church Women of Canada. The purpose is to give the women of the Anglican Church the opportunity to unite in a fellowship of worship, study and service which will lead them into Christian service in the parish, community, diocese, nation, and world."

The Woman’s Auxiliary was founded in April 1885 “for the promotion of missionary effort”. The first president was Margaret Medley, wife of the Bishop of Fredericton and Archbishop of the Province of Canada. Roberta E. Tilton of Ottawa was the major force in organizing both diocesan and parochial branches and in promoting the affiliation of existing groups and societies.

The “Letter Leaflet” was a monthly publication first produced in the Diocese of Toronto. It expanded and became the W.A.’s official publication and in 1923 it was renamed “The Living Message”.

The W.A. was reorganized in 1908 following the founding of the Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada (MSCC) to conform to the structure of General Synod. Caroline M. Patterson Hall was elected president and the first meeting of the General Board was held in Winnipeg.

Initially the work of the W.A. included mission education among Girls; Juniors and Little Helpers (Babies) branches; support of women working as missionaries and assistants in Japan (later China and India) and on Indian Reserves; Dorcas work and financial support for the education of missionaries children. A pension fund for women missionaries was established in 1910. In 1912 after several years of discussion the W.A. agreed to assume responsibility for work with women and children overseas. This included additional budgeted expenditures for evangelism, schools and hospitals. This agreement was extended to the Canadian mission field in 1919.

In 1928 the general meeting became annual. Recognizing an expanded social service role in 1931 the W.A. added a clause to its Constitution governing its cooperation with the General Board of Religious Education (GBRE) and the Council for Social Service (CSS).

In 1966 the constitution was amended and the Woman’s Auxiliary became the Anglican Church Women (ACW). Integration with General Synod was agreed as a national goal and took place in 1973. Since that time the organization exists by choice at the diocesan and parish levels.

According to E. M. Malone and Major T. E. Mcnutt, The Church in the Island Province (1932), p. 118, the first branch of the Women's Auxiliary in the Maritimes was established in 1897 at St. Peter's Cathedral.

As noted in the Anglican Church Women archives, the Prince Edward Island branch of the Anglican Church Women was dissolved in June 2017. Since then St. Peter's Cathedral has maintained the Binney Group and Inglis Group as active women's groups within the church.

Binney Group

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1968-

The St. Peter's Cathedral Binney Group was originally the evening branch of St. Peter's Anglican Church Women but was renamed by Archdeacon G.S. Tanton in 1968, in honour of the fourth bishop of the Diocese, Bishop Hibbert Binney, who served as bishop from 1851 to 1887 and who was instrumental in the establishing of St. Peter's Cathedral Parish. The Binney Group of women meet once a month for a business meeting and undertake numerous fund-raising events for the parish. Together with the St. Peter's Cathedral Inglis Group, the Binney Group provides "refreshments" at numerous parish events, meetings, etc.

Bishop Hibbert Binney

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1819-1887

The following is adapted from the Wikipedia entry for Herbert Binney, which is an abbreviated version of the Dictionary of Canadian Biography entry. Hibbert Binney (12 August 1819 – 30 April 1887) was a Canadian Church of England bishop. He was the fourth Bishop of Nova Scotia from 1851 to 1887. Born in Sydney, Nova Scotia, the son of the Reverend Hibbert Binney and Henrietta Amelia Stout, Hibbert Binney Sr. was the rector of St George’s Church in Sydney. In 1823, Binney Sr. returned to England with his family to become rector of Newbury, Berkshire. Binney Jr. was educated at King's College London, and received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Worcester College, Oxford, in 1842. He was ordained deacon by the Bishop of Oxford Richard Bagot in 1842 and was appointed a fellow of Worcester College. In 1844, he received his Master of Arts and was appointed tutor in 1846. In 1848, he became bursar of Worcester College.In 1851, Binney was named Bishop of Nova Scotia and was consecrated in London by Archbishop John Bird Sumner of Canterbury and assisted by Bishops Blomfield of London, Wilberforce of Oxford, and Gilbert of Chichester. He was married to Mary Bliss (1829–1903), the daughter of William Blowers Bliss and Sarah Ann Anderson. Binney lived for years in what is now known as the Black-Binney House, which is now a national historic site.

Daniel Hodgson

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1803-1883

Daniel Hodgson was the father of Reverend George Wright Hodgson, the first rector of St. Peter's Cathedral Church.

According to biographical information on the Memory P.E.I. website, Daniel Hodgson was born on 4 October 1803, in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, to Robert Hodgson and Rebecca Robinson, formerly of Surrey, England. Daniel married three times. His first wife was Lydia Cambridge MacGowan, who he married on 22 November 1832. Lydia died three years later, on 18 May 1835, at the age of twenty five. On 31 January 1839, Daniel married Mary Wright. They had two sons, Edward Jarvis, born on 29 July 1840 and George Wright, born on 15 January 1842. Mary died less then a month after the birth of George, on 3 February 1842, at the age of twenty seven. Daniel married for the third time to Margaret Leah De St. Croix on the 20 April 1852. She died on 18 January 1878 at age seventy two.

In 1830, Daniel became the chief coroner for Prince Edward Island. Throughout his life he served in several government and public service positions, including: Lloyd's agent for Prince Edward Island in 1831; Prothonotary and Clerk of the Crown in 1839; Judge of Probate in 1853; Commissioner for issuing treasury notes, Commissioner for affidavits in the Supreme Court, and Clerk of the Crown for Justices of the Peace throughout Prince Edward Island in 1864. Outside of his professional duties, Daniel also belonged to the Library Society as of 1832, and is recorded as a church warden for St. Peter's Anglican Church as of 1845. Daniel Hodgson died on 21 July 1883 at age eighty.

Diocesan Church Society

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1840-?

In the late 1700s, as the Church of England became established in Canada, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (S. P. G.) supported clergymen, providing funds to support living costs and to assist with other expenses. in the early 1800s, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (S. P. C. K.) took on the task of supplying books for use of churches in different parts of the country, working alongside the S. P. G.

A "Church Society of the Archdeaconry of New Brunswick" was formed in 1837 to take over the duties of the S. P. G. and S. P. C. K, such as to carry out missionary visits, establish scholarships for study, provide aid for Sunday Schools and other schools, supply books and tracts, and aid in the building and expansion of churches. In 1847, that society was renamed "The Diocesan Church Society of New Brunswick" and expanded its mission to provide support for the construction of parsonages and to create a fund to help with incapacitated clergy, widows and orphans of clergy, and the children of clergy. A comparable society was founded in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in 1840, and incorporated in 1852. Other societies were formed in other parts of Canada, apparently often in response to diminishing financial support from the Church in England. The Society was still in existence as of 2007.

E.M. Malone

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1881-22 November 1975

Elwin Mortimer Malone served as priest incumbent of St. Peter's Cathedral from 1921 to 1952. He was born in 1881 in Antigua and immigrated to Canada from Barbados to take up the post at St. Peter's in 1921. His first wife was Lucille LaBeet. She apparently died before Canon Malone came to Prince Edward Island. on 20 July 1936, Malone married Margaret Hegan in Charlottetown at St. Peter's Church. Malone died on 22 November 1975 and was buried at St. Peter's Cathedral graveyard on 24 November 1975.
Elwin Mortimer Malone served as priest incumbent of St. Peter's Cathedral from 1921 to 1952. He was born in 1881 in Antigua and immigrated to Canada from Barbados to take up Records suggest that Malone's son from his first marriage, Edward Mortimer Malone, married Rita Ann Larkin in Sussex, New Brunswick, on 17 April 1938.

George Filliter

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1912-2007

The following biographical information comes from the obituary for George Richard Forsyth Filliter (known as Dick), published in the Telegraph Journal in 2007. (See http://www.inmemoriam.ca/view-announcement-137137-george-richard-forsyth-dick-filliter.html.)

FILLITER, GEORGE RICHARD FORSYTH (DICK), M.B.E. - Passed away peacefully at Camp Hill Hospital, Halifax on April 7th, 2007. Dick was born September 10th, 1912, the eldest son of George and Julia Blanche (Hall) Filliter. He was predeceased by his parents and brothers John and David and is survived by his wife Helen (Baldwin), sons John (Clevie Wall), Bruce (Yvonne Raczkowski) and Jim (Paula MacDonald), grandchildren Jillian (Anthony Bell), Jennifer, Daniel, Carolyn and Christopher, and his brother Brian (Barbara). Dick attended public schools in Woodstock, N.B. and Charlottetown, P.E.I. He was involved in the Boy Scout movement from an early age, became a King Scout, represented P.E.I. at the 1929 World Jamboree, and served as a Cubmaster and Boy Scout Leader for over 25 years. After completing high school, he joined the Bank of Montreal and took courses through Queen's University to become a Fellow of the Canadian Banker's Association. In April 1940 Dick enlisted with the Prince Edward Island Highlanders; he served on coastal defence duty in the Halifax area, trained at infantry headquarters in England, served in the liberation of Holland, was promoted to the rank of major, mentioned in despatches and awarded an M.B.E. Except for his service with the Canadian Army from 1940 to 1945, Dick was employed all his working life by the Bank of Montreal; he was manager of the last two branches where he worked, at Yarmouth, N.S. and 226 Union Street, Saint John, N.B. Following his retirement in 1974, he did some auditing for the bank and also served as Director of Anglicans in Mission for the Diocese of Fredericton from 1981 to 1987. Dick served as a Vestryman and Warden of St. Paul's Church in Rothesay, N.B., was made an Honorary Life Member of the Canadian Cancer Society and a Life Member of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind. He was a regular blood donor and a Dominion Marksman. Dick was an avid sportsman, winning a Gorsebrook Golf Club Tournament, skipping an 8-end while curling in Yarmouth, and winning a Maritime Badminton Championship in men's doubles with Stan Goodwin in 1936 and a senior men's doubles title with Phil Ritcey in 1971. He organized badminton and tennis clubs, enjoyed competing at cards (especially duplicate bridge), and took a keen interest in photography and wildflowers. While in Saint John, Dick belonged to the Union Club, the Kiwanis Club, the Thistle Curling Club and East Riverside Golf and Country Club. A Memorial Service for Dick was held at St. Luke's Anglican Church, Dartmouth on April 11th.

Inglis Group

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1990-

The St. Peter's Cathedral Inglis Group was originally the senior branch of St. Peter's Anglican Church Women but was renamed in 1990 in honour of Bishop Charles Inglis, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Nova Scotia (with episcopal jurisdiction over Prince Edward Island). He was bishop from 1787 until 1816. Together with the St. Peter's Cathedral Binney Group, the Inglis Group provides "refreshments" at numerous parish events, meetings, etc.

Lawrence W. Watson

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 2 May 1860-17 July 1925

Lawrence Watson was born Laurence White Watson on 2 May 1860 on Queen Street, Charlottetown, and baptised at St. James Church in Charlottetown on 11 July 1860. His father was William R. Watson and his mother Sarah Ann Watson (nee Sarah Ann Croskill). (The official baptismal record shows his name as Laurence but the spelling changed from Laurence to Lawrence at some point.) Watson dies in Charlottetown on 17 July 1925, age 65. According to the obituary in The Charlottetown Guardian newspaper on 29 July 1925, Watson received his B.A. at King's College, Windsor, Nova Scotia, and then studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland. He ended his medical studies on the death of his father and returned to Prince Edward Island to continue his father's business.

Watson directed musical services at St. Peter's Cathedral Church for many years, and carried out numerous other duties for the church.

Watson composed the music for The Island Hymn, with lyrics by Lucy M. Montgomery.

Watson was married to Eleanor Massey Desbrisay. According to census records he had two children, Ruth (born ca. 1893) and Norman (born ca. 1899), but The Charlottetown Guardian newspaper indicates he had a daughter and two sons.

Results 1 to 10 of 15