Mostrar 38 resultados

Registo de autoridade

All Souls' Chapel

  • Canada
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1888-

All Souls' Chapel is an historic chapel attached to St. Peter's Cathedral in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. As described in Wikipedia, All Souls' Chapel was built as a memorial to Father George Hodgson, the first "priest-incumbent" of St. Peter's Cathedral. The building was designed by noted ecclesiastical architect William Critchlow Harris. The chapel's walls feature paintings by his brother, Robert Harris. The chapel was built by Lowe Brothers of Charlottetown and the woodwork was carved by Messrs Whitlock and Doull.

There are three roundels by Robert Harris set in the front of the altar, depicting (1) Christ breaking bread at Emmaus on the day of his resurrection; (2) the crucifixion of Christ; and (3) Christ administering the chalice to communicants. The arched reredos is typical of William Harris's style, containing statues of Christ and his apostles. Christ stands in the centre, with St. John and St. James standing to his right and St. Peter to his left, while other apostles, including St. Paul, carry the instruments used to put them to death.

A tabernacle containing the Reserved Sacrament stands behind the altar cross, while to the right of the altar is the credence table on which the bread and wine are placed before the offertory. Around the sanctuary walls are portraits of St. Luke the Evangelist as a memorial to Robert Harris and St. James the Just as a memorial to Canon James Simpson, who played an important role in planning the chapel. The round painting above the reredos is of Christ ascending to Heaven.

All Souls' Chapel was designated a heritage resource by the City of Charlottetown in 1979 and a National Historic Site of Canada.

Rural Deanery

  • Canada
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1909-?

The Rural Deanery was formed in 1909 after the dissolution of the Clerical Association of P.E.I. The Clerical Association had been formed in Crapaud, Prince Edward Island, in 1887 to provide licensed Anglican clergy with the opportunity to meet to pray, socialize, and plan church and community events. The Rural Deanery continued the same general activities. The closure of the Rural Deanery is still to be confirmed.

E.M. Malone

  • Canada
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1881-22 November 1975

Elwin Mortimer Malone served as priest incumbent of St. Peter's Cathedral from 1921 to 1952. He was born in 1881 in Antigua and immigrated to Canada from Barbados to take up the post at St. Peter's in 1921. His first wife was Lucille LaBeet. She apparently died before Canon Malone came to Prince Edward Island. on 20 July 1936, Malone married Margaret Hegan in Charlottetown at St. Peter's Church. Malone died on 22 November 1975 and was buried at St. Peter's Cathedral graveyard on 24 November 1975.
Elwin Mortimer Malone served as priest incumbent of St. Peter's Cathedral from 1921 to 1952. He was born in 1881 in Antigua and immigrated to Canada from Barbados to take up Records suggest that Malone's son from his first marriage, Edward Mortimer Malone, married Rita Ann Larkin in Sussex, New Brunswick, on 17 April 1938.

Diocesan Church Society

  • Canada
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1840-?

In the late 1700s, as the Church of England became established in Canada, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (S. P. G.) supported clergymen, providing funds to support living costs and to assist with other expenses. in the early 1800s, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (S. P. C. K.) took on the task of supplying books for use of churches in different parts of the country, working alongside the S. P. G.

A "Church Society of the Archdeaconry of New Brunswick" was formed in 1837 to take over the duties of the S. P. G. and S. P. C. K, such as to carry out missionary visits, establish scholarships for study, provide aid for Sunday Schools and other schools, supply books and tracts, and aid in the building and expansion of churches. In 1847, that society was renamed "The Diocesan Church Society of New Brunswick" and expanded its mission to provide support for the construction of parsonages and to create a fund to help with incapacitated clergy, widows and orphans of clergy, and the children of clergy. A comparable society was founded in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in 1840, and incorporated in 1852. Other societies were formed in other parts of Canada, apparently often in response to diminishing financial support from the Church in England. The Society was still in existence as of 2007.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 38