Showing 38 results

Authority record

All Souls' Chapel

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1888-

All Souls' Chapel is an historic chapel attached to St. Peter's Cathedral in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. As described in Wikipedia, All Souls' Chapel was built as a memorial to Father George Hodgson, the first "priest-incumbent" of St. Peter's Cathedral. The building was designed by noted ecclesiastical architect William Critchlow Harris. The chapel's walls feature paintings by his brother, Robert Harris. The chapel was built by Lowe Brothers of Charlottetown and the woodwork was carved by Messrs Whitlock and Doull.

There are three roundels by Robert Harris set in the front of the altar, depicting (1) Christ breaking bread at Emmaus on the day of his resurrection; (2) the crucifixion of Christ; and (3) Christ administering the chalice to communicants. The arched reredos is typical of William Harris's style, containing statues of Christ and his apostles. Christ stands in the centre, with St. John and St. James standing to his right and St. Peter to his left, while other apostles, including St. Paul, carry the instruments used to put them to death.

A tabernacle containing the Reserved Sacrament stands behind the altar cross, while to the right of the altar is the credence table on which the bread and wine are placed before the offertory. Around the sanctuary walls are portraits of St. Luke the Evangelist as a memorial to Robert Harris and St. James the Just as a memorial to Canon James Simpson, who played an important role in planning the chapel. The round painting above the reredos is of Christ ascending to Heaven.

All Souls' Chapel was designated a heritage resource by the City of Charlottetown in 1979 and a National Historic Site of Canada.

Rural Deanery

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1909-?

The Rural Deanery was formed in 1909 after the dissolution of the Clerical Association of P.E.I. The Clerical Association had been formed in Crapaud, Prince Edward Island, in 1887 to provide licensed Anglican clergy with the opportunity to meet to pray, socialize, and plan church and community events. The Rural Deanery continued the same general activities. The closure of the Rural Deanery is still to be confirmed.

E.M. Malone

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1881-22 November 1975

Elwin Mortimer Malone served as priest incumbent of St. Peter's Cathedral from 1921 to 1952. He was born in 1881 in Antigua and immigrated to Canada from Barbados to take up the post at St. Peter's in 1921. His first wife was Lucille LaBeet. She apparently died before Canon Malone came to Prince Edward Island. on 20 July 1936, Malone married Margaret Hegan in Charlottetown at St. Peter's Church. Malone died on 22 November 1975 and was buried at St. Peter's Cathedral graveyard on 24 November 1975.
Elwin Mortimer Malone served as priest incumbent of St. Peter's Cathedral from 1921 to 1952. He was born in 1881 in Antigua and immigrated to Canada from Barbados to take up Records suggest that Malone's son from his first marriage, Edward Mortimer Malone, married Rita Ann Larkin in Sussex, New Brunswick, on 17 April 1938.

Diocesan Church Society

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1840-?

In the late 1700s, as the Church of England became established in Canada, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (S. P. G.) supported clergymen, providing funds to support living costs and to assist with other expenses. in the early 1800s, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (S. P. C. K.) took on the task of supplying books for use of churches in different parts of the country, working alongside the S. P. G.

A "Church Society of the Archdeaconry of New Brunswick" was formed in 1837 to take over the duties of the S. P. G. and S. P. C. K, such as to carry out missionary visits, establish scholarships for study, provide aid for Sunday Schools and other schools, supply books and tracts, and aid in the building and expansion of churches. In 1847, that society was renamed "The Diocesan Church Society of New Brunswick" and expanded its mission to provide support for the construction of parsonages and to create a fund to help with incapacitated clergy, widows and orphans of clergy, and the children of clergy. A comparable society was founded in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in 1840, and incorporated in 1852. Other societies were formed in other parts of Canada, apparently often in response to diminishing financial support from the Church in England. The Society was still in existence as of 2007.

Daniel Hodgson

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1803-1883

Daniel Hodgson was the father of Reverend George Wright Hodgson, the first rector of St. Peter's Cathedral Church.

According to biographical information on the Memory P.E.I. website, Daniel Hodgson was born on 4 October 1803, in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, to Robert Hodgson and Rebecca Robinson, formerly of Surrey, England. Daniel married three times. His first wife was Lydia Cambridge MacGowan, who he married on 22 November 1832. Lydia died three years later, on 18 May 1835, at the age of twenty five. On 31 January 1839, Daniel married Mary Wright. They had two sons, Edward Jarvis, born on 29 July 1840 and George Wright, born on 15 January 1842. Mary died less then a month after the birth of George, on 3 February 1842, at the age of twenty seven. Daniel married for the third time to Margaret Leah De St. Croix on the 20 April 1852. She died on 18 January 1878 at age seventy two.

In 1830, Daniel became the chief coroner for Prince Edward Island. Throughout his life he served in several government and public service positions, including: Lloyd's agent for Prince Edward Island in 1831; Prothonotary and Clerk of the Crown in 1839; Judge of Probate in 1853; Commissioner for issuing treasury notes, Commissioner for affidavits in the Supreme Court, and Clerk of the Crown for Justices of the Peace throughout Prince Edward Island in 1864. Outside of his professional duties, Daniel also belonged to the Library Society as of 1832, and is recorded as a church warden for St. Peter's Anglican Church as of 1845. Daniel Hodgson died on 21 July 1883 at age eighty.

Inglis Group

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1990-

The St. Peter's Cathedral Inglis Group was originally the senior branch of St. Peter's Anglican Church Women but was renamed in 1990 in honour of Bishop Charles Inglis, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Nova Scotia (with episcopal jurisdiction over Prince Edward Island). He was bishop from 1787 until 1816. Together with the St. Peter's Cathedral Binney Group, the Inglis Group provides "refreshments" at numerous parish events, meetings, etc.

Binney Group

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1968-

The St. Peter's Cathedral Binney Group was originally the evening branch of St. Peter's Anglican Church Women but was renamed by Archdeacon G.S. Tanton in 1968, in honour of the fourth bishop of the Diocese, Bishop Hibbert Binney, who served as bishop from 1851 to 1887 and who was instrumental in the establishing of St. Peter's Cathedral Parish. The Binney Group of women meet once a month for a business meeting and undertake numerous fund-raising events for the parish. Together with the St. Peter's Cathedral Inglis Group, the Binney Group provides "refreshments" at numerous parish events, meetings, etc.

The Choir of St. Peter's

  • Canada
  • Corporate body
  • 1869-2020

Music has been a central part of St. Peter's Cathedral since the 1860s, as evidenced by the archives in the church's collection. The choir normally rehearses once a week and sings the main Sunday morning Eucharist throughout the year. Major festivals and holy days are celebrated with Solemn Evensong and Benediction, often followed by a parish social event. Special services include the Advent Carol Service on the First Sunday in Advent, and a full range of Holy Week services, including the Easter Vigil. Each year, on Ascension Day, the choir sings a Latin Mass, alternating year about between a Renaissance and a Classical setting, the latter of which is accompanied by a small orchestra.

The choir's other social and fundraising activities have included selling cookbooks, holding yard sales, organising coffee hour treats, and so on.

Walter ("Bunny") MacNutt served as both organist and choirmaster from ca. 1944-1946. Gwen Patterson served as choir director and Suzanne Brenton as organist in the late 1960s to early 1971. Alan Reesor served as organist and choir master from February 1971 to his retirement in June 2015. In 2020, Glory Jay serves as organist and interim choir director as the church searches for a permanent replacement.

William Lockhart

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1893-1962

According to research in Ancestry.ca, William Rufus Lockhart was born on September 14, 1893, in Petitcodiac, New Brunswick, to father Edwin and mother Lyla. William's brother was Frank Edwin Lockhart (1883-1916) was killed on April 8, 1916, in Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, during the First World War. William married Mary Jane McCully in 1918 in Petitcodiac. William died on May 23, 1962, in Petitcodiac. The relationship between the Lockharts and St. Peter's Cathedral Church, and the reason St. Peter's Cathedral Church Archives has a scrapbook compiled by the two brothers, is unknown.

George Filliter

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1912-2007

The following biographical information comes from the obituary for George Richard Forsyth Filliter (known as Dick), published in the Telegraph Journal in 2007. (See http://www.inmemoriam.ca/view-announcement-137137-george-richard-forsyth-dick-filliter.html.)

FILLITER, GEORGE RICHARD FORSYTH (DICK), M.B.E. - Passed away peacefully at Camp Hill Hospital, Halifax on April 7th, 2007. Dick was born September 10th, 1912, the eldest son of George and Julia Blanche (Hall) Filliter. He was predeceased by his parents and brothers John and David and is survived by his wife Helen (Baldwin), sons John (Clevie Wall), Bruce (Yvonne Raczkowski) and Jim (Paula MacDonald), grandchildren Jillian (Anthony Bell), Jennifer, Daniel, Carolyn and Christopher, and his brother Brian (Barbara). Dick attended public schools in Woodstock, N.B. and Charlottetown, P.E.I. He was involved in the Boy Scout movement from an early age, became a King Scout, represented P.E.I. at the 1929 World Jamboree, and served as a Cubmaster and Boy Scout Leader for over 25 years. After completing high school, he joined the Bank of Montreal and took courses through Queen's University to become a Fellow of the Canadian Banker's Association. In April 1940 Dick enlisted with the Prince Edward Island Highlanders; he served on coastal defence duty in the Halifax area, trained at infantry headquarters in England, served in the liberation of Holland, was promoted to the rank of major, mentioned in despatches and awarded an M.B.E. Except for his service with the Canadian Army from 1940 to 1945, Dick was employed all his working life by the Bank of Montreal; he was manager of the last two branches where he worked, at Yarmouth, N.S. and 226 Union Street, Saint John, N.B. Following his retirement in 1974, he did some auditing for the bank and also served as Director of Anglicans in Mission for the Diocese of Fredericton from 1981 to 1987. Dick served as a Vestryman and Warden of St. Paul's Church in Rothesay, N.B., was made an Honorary Life Member of the Canadian Cancer Society and a Life Member of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind. He was a regular blood donor and a Dominion Marksman. Dick was an avid sportsman, winning a Gorsebrook Golf Club Tournament, skipping an 8-end while curling in Yarmouth, and winning a Maritime Badminton Championship in men's doubles with Stan Goodwin in 1936 and a senior men's doubles title with Phil Ritcey in 1971. He organized badminton and tennis clubs, enjoyed competing at cards (especially duplicate bridge), and took a keen interest in photography and wildflowers. While in Saint John, Dick belonged to the Union Club, the Kiwanis Club, the Thistle Curling Club and East Riverside Golf and Country Club. A Memorial Service for Dick was held at St. Luke's Anglican Church, Dartmouth on April 11th.

Results 1 to 10 of 38