Showing 38 resultsAuthority record
- Canada PEI SPCA
- 15 January 1842 - 20 July 1885
George Wright Hodgson was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, on 15 January 1842, the son of Daniel Hodgson and Mary Cambridge Wright and younger brother of Edward Jarvis Hodgson. George was baptized on 24 August 1842 in St. Paul's Anglican Church in Charlottetown.
George studied at King's College in Windsor, Nova Scotia, becoming a firm supporter of the Anglo-Catholic Oxford Movement. He was the first Reverend of St. Peter's Cathedral, in Charlottetown, in 1869; the church had been built in 1867 and held its first service, under his direction, in 1869.
George married Gertrude Magdalene DesBrisay on 4 March 1884. He died on 20 July 1885 at the age of 43 and is buried at the St. Peter's churchyard in Charlottetown.
- Canada PEI SPCA
- 11 May 1853-29 November 1920
As outlined in Robert Tuck's entry for Simpson in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography, James Simpson was born on 11 May 1853 in Maidstone, England, the son of James Simpson, a surgeon and dentist, and Marion Campbell. Simpson married Alice Maude DesBrisay in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on 29 June 1891 and had three sons and one daughter. Simpson died in Charlottetown on 29 November 1920. He was educated at Southsea Diocesan Grammar School in England and emigrated to Quebec in 1872. He studied for holy orders at Bishop’s College, Lennoxville, graduating in arts in 1876 (ma 1879) and then worked as a government surveyor. In 1882 he was engaged as assistant master at Trinity College School, Port Hope, Ontario, and was then ordered deacon in 1882 and priest in 1883.
In December 1886, Simpson went to Charlottetown to take temporary charge of St Peter’s Cathedral, being inducted as "priest-incumbent" on 13 February 1887. He was made the first canon of his cathedral in 1907 and an honorary canon of All Saints’ Cathedral, Halifax, in 1915. He was a member of both provincial and general synods, a governor of King’s College, Windsor, Nova Scotia, and a delegate to the Pan-Anglican Congress held in 1908. In 1914 Bishop’s College made him an honorary doctor of canon law. Simpson also served on the committee that produced the first Canadian revision of the Book of Common Prayer in 1918.
- Corporate body
The St. Peter's Cathedral Inglis Group was originally the senior branch of St. Peter's Anglican Church Women but was renamed in 1990 in honour of Bishop Charles Inglis, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Nova Scotia (with episcopal jurisdiction over Prince Edward Island). He was bishop from 1787 until 1816. Together with the St. Peter's Cathedral Binney Group, the Inglis Group provides "refreshments" at numerous parish events, meetings, etc.
- Canada PEI SPCA
- Corporate body
As noted on the St. Peter's Cathedral Church website, the founding of St. Peter's was directly linked to a theological and liturgical revival of the Catholic tradition within Anglicanism, known as the Oxford or Tractarian Movement. This Movement began in England in the 1830's, and spread throughout the Anglican Communion worldwide. By the 1860's, some parishioners of the already long-established St. Paul's Church, in Charlottetown, had been exposed to the Oxford Movement through their travels, and wanted to erect a new church building where the teachings and liturgical observances of that movement could be reflected and practiced.
As noted in Wikipedia, St. Peter's, located on Rochford Square, corner of All Souls' Lane and Rochford Street, Charlottetown, was designated a cathedral in 1879 by Bishop Hibbert Binney, the Bishop of Nova Scotia. Over the years, it has served as a second cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Nova Scotia (now called Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island). (The principal cathedral of the diocese is All Saints' Cathedral in Halifax, Nova Scotia.) Attached to the west side of the cathedral is All Souls' Chapel, which was designated as a National Historic Site in 1990.
Land for the new church was made available by Mr. William Cundall, and construction began in 1867. By the spring of 1869, the building was completed, and Mr. Cundall then officially gave the land to the church on June 1, 1869. The opening services were held on June 13 of that year, but the Cathedral was not consecrated until the Feast of St. Peter, June 29, 1879. It was constructed in an area of the city known as West Bog. St. Peter's School was opened in 1872 the girls' school three years later. [[confirm when they closed]]
Following Oxford Movement traditions, choir members have worn surplices since the opening of the church. As early as 1872 the Rood Screen was erected and the seven hanging lamps placed in the sanctuary. The envelope system was adopted in 1876, and the pews have always been free. Altar candles have been used since 1877, and Eucharistic vestments since 1889. Originally, chairs were used at St. Peter's. In 1928, these were replaced by pews of dark walnut-coloured Douglas fir. The pulpit is the design of William Critchlow Harris, the brother of Robert Harris the artist, whose paintings beautify All Souls' Chapel. William Critchlow Harris was also the architect of All Souls' Chapel. The High Altar (complete with an Altar Stone) is still in its traditional position. Behind the Altar are statues of the Lord and four evangelists (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).
The first priest incumbent was Reverend George W. Hodgson, who served from 1869 to 1885. After Reverend Hodgson's death, Father Armstrong from Toronto and Father Smythe from the West Indies acted on an interim basis until Canon James Simpson was appointed the second Priest Incumbent in 1886 [[1887?]], serving until his death in 1920. A former master at Port Hope School, Canon Simpson had as his assistant the Reverend Thomas Henry Hunt. Canon Simpson, along with Mr. William Critchlow Harris (architect) and Mr. Robert Harris, C.M.G. (artist), were largely responsible for the creation of All Souls' Chapel.
Canon Elwyn Mortimer Malone, originally from Antigua, followed Canon Simpson, serving from 1921 to 1952. It was during his tenure of office that the property ceased to be vested in Trustees and was turned over to the Rector, Wardens, and Vestry.
In 1952 Canon Gerald E. Moffatt became Rector of the Cathedral, serving until 1958. Archdeacon J. R. Davies became Rector in 1958 and remained until 1967. Archdeacon G. S. Tanton, the second Islander to serve at St. Peter's after George Hodgson, became Rector in 1967, retiring in 1975. [[1974 or 1975?]]
In 1974, Canon H. M. D. Westin became the seventh Parish Priest and served until his retirement in October 1990. Aside from his spiritual and pastoral work as a dedicated priest, he is remembered for his founding of what is now the annual Atlantic Theological Conference, which continues to be held annually. To publish the proceedings of these conferences, St. Peter Publications was established in [[year]]. It publishes a book containing the papers presented at the previous year's theological conference, as well as "A Canadian Church Calendar", Common Prayer Commentaries, a Sunday School curriculum, and numerous books, pamphlets and tracts. For a number of years, St. Peter Publications also produced a quarterly periodical, The Anglican Free Press.
The next Rector, The Reverend Canon Peter Harris, from Nova Scotia, served for almost two years as Assistant Priest, starting in April 1989, before being appointed Rector at the end of 1990, continuing to the end of November 2014. The Reverend David Garrett succeeded Canon Harris as Rector in December 2014.
A new parish hall attached to the cathedral was erected in 2004, replacing an older hall that had stood on that site for over 100 years.
- Corporate body
All Souls' Chapel is an historic chapel attached to St. Peter's Cathedral in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. As described in Wikipedia, All Souls' Chapel was built as a memorial to Father George Hodgson, the first "priest-incumbent" of St. Peter's Cathedral. The building was designed by noted ecclesiastical architect William Critchlow Harris. The chapel's walls feature paintings by his brother, Robert Harris. The chapel was built by Lowe Brothers of Charlottetown and the woodwork was carved by Messrs Whitlock and Doull.
There are three roundels by Robert Harris set in the front of the altar, depicting (1) Christ breaking bread at Emmaus on the day of his resurrection; (2) the crucifixion of Christ; and (3) Christ administering the chalice to communicants. The arched reredos is typical of William Harris's style, containing statues of Christ and his apostles. Christ stands in the centre, with St. John and St. James standing to his right and St. Peter to his left, while other apostles, including St. Paul, carry the instruments used to put them to death.
A tabernacle containing the Reserved Sacrament stands behind the altar cross, while to the right of the altar is the credence table on which the bread and wine are placed before the offertory. Around the sanctuary walls are portraits of St. Luke the Evangelist as a memorial to Robert Harris and St. James the Just as a memorial to Canon James Simpson, who played an important role in planning the chapel. The round painting above the reredos is of Christ ascending to Heaven.
All Souls' Chapel was designated a heritage resource by the City of Charlottetown in 1979 and a National Historic Site of Canada.
The following biographical information comes from the obituary for George Richard Forsyth Filliter (known as Dick), published in the Telegraph Journal in 2007. (See http://www.inmemoriam.ca/view-announcement-137137-george-richard-forsyth-dick-filliter.html.)
FILLITER, GEORGE RICHARD FORSYTH (DICK), M.B.E. - Passed away peacefully at Camp Hill Hospital, Halifax on April 7th, 2007. Dick was born September 10th, 1912, the eldest son of George and Julia Blanche (Hall) Filliter. He was predeceased by his parents and brothers John and David and is survived by his wife Helen (Baldwin), sons John (Clevie Wall), Bruce (Yvonne Raczkowski) and Jim (Paula MacDonald), grandchildren Jillian (Anthony Bell), Jennifer, Daniel, Carolyn and Christopher, and his brother Brian (Barbara). Dick attended public schools in Woodstock, N.B. and Charlottetown, P.E.I. He was involved in the Boy Scout movement from an early age, became a King Scout, represented P.E.I. at the 1929 World Jamboree, and served as a Cubmaster and Boy Scout Leader for over 25 years. After completing high school, he joined the Bank of Montreal and took courses through Queen's University to become a Fellow of the Canadian Banker's Association. In April 1940 Dick enlisted with the Prince Edward Island Highlanders; he served on coastal defence duty in the Halifax area, trained at infantry headquarters in England, served in the liberation of Holland, was promoted to the rank of major, mentioned in despatches and awarded an M.B.E. Except for his service with the Canadian Army from 1940 to 1945, Dick was employed all his working life by the Bank of Montreal; he was manager of the last two branches where he worked, at Yarmouth, N.S. and 226 Union Street, Saint John, N.B. Following his retirement in 1974, he did some auditing for the bank and also served as Director of Anglicans in Mission for the Diocese of Fredericton from 1981 to 1987. Dick served as a Vestryman and Warden of St. Paul's Church in Rothesay, N.B., was made an Honorary Life Member of the Canadian Cancer Society and a Life Member of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind. He was a regular blood donor and a Dominion Marksman. Dick was an avid sportsman, winning a Gorsebrook Golf Club Tournament, skipping an 8-end while curling in Yarmouth, and winning a Maritime Badminton Championship in men's doubles with Stan Goodwin in 1936 and a senior men's doubles title with Phil Ritcey in 1971. He organized badminton and tennis clubs, enjoyed competing at cards (especially duplicate bridge), and took a keen interest in photography and wildflowers. While in Saint John, Dick belonged to the Union Club, the Kiwanis Club, the Thistle Curling Club and East Riverside Golf and Country Club. A Memorial Service for Dick was held at St. Luke's Anglican Church, Dartmouth on April 11th.
- Corporate body
The St. Peter's Cathedral Binney Group was originally the evening branch of St. Peter's Anglican Church Women but was renamed by Archdeacon G.S. Tanton in 1968, in honour of the fourth bishop of the Diocese, Bishop Hibbert Binney, who served as bishop from 1851 to 1887 and who was instrumental in the establishing of St. Peter's Cathedral Parish. The Binney Group of women meet once a month for a business meeting and undertake numerous fund-raising events for the parish. Together with the St. Peter's Cathedral Inglis Group, the Binney Group provides "refreshments" at numerous parish events, meetings, etc.
- Corporate body
The Rural Deanery was formed in 1909 after the dissolution of the Clerical Association of P.E.I. The Clerical Association had been formed in Crapaud, Prince Edward Island, in 1887 to provide licensed Anglican clergy with the opportunity to meet to pray, socialize, and plan church and community events. The Rural Deanery continued the same general activities. The closure of the Rural Deanery is still to be confirmed.