St. Peter's Cathedral Archives houses and makes available the Cathedral official archives, along with archival materials related to the church community in Charlottetown and across Prince Edward Island.
The photograph is a head and shoulders portrait of Dr. Magee . A handwritten note on the front shows the words "Dr. Magee, Bishop of Peterborough."
According to research, the Very Rev Dr William Connor Magee DD DCL (17 December 1821 – 5 May 1891) was an Irish clergyman of the Anglican Church, who served as Bishop of Peterborough from 1868 to 1891 and as Archbishop of York for a short period in 1891.
The photograph is a seated portrait of Reverend William Bullock. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Halifax." According to research, William Bullock was a naval officer, Church of England clergyman, and hymn-writer; he was born on 12 January 1797 at Prittlewell, Essex, England and died on 7 March 1874 at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and he was buried in the Camp Hill Cemetery. Bullock went to Halifax in 1847 for temporary clery duty, after serving in St. John's, Newfoundland, serving as curate of St Paul’s Cathedral. Bullock later became the first dean of St. Luke's Cathedral Church when Queen Victoria made St Luke’s the cathedral church of the Diocese of Nova Scotia. In 1854 William Bullock published a collection of 166 hymns, titled "Songs of the Church," which he dedicated to the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The best-known of these hymns, “We love the place, O God,” composed for the opening of a new church in Trinity Bay, was later inserted in the official hymnbook of the Church of England.
The photograph is a full-length portrait of Dr. Brookes. The handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Dr. Brookes." Printed on the front on the lower left is the name of the studio and on the lower right its address; above this information in script is the word "Copyright."
The photograph is a seated portrait of Reverend T. T. Carter. Below the photograph are printed the name of the photography studio, W. Walker & Sons, and its London, England, address. The handwritten note on the front of the photograph reads: "Rev. T. Carter." Research indicates that Thomas Thellusson Carter SSC (19 March 1808 – 28 October 1901), also known as T. T. Carter, was a significant figure in the Victorian Church of England. He was responsible for reintroducing Catholic practices to the church and for founding the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament. Carter also founded several charitable organizations and was a prolific writer on church matters. He served as Rector of Clewer, a parish in Berkshire, England, or 36 years. In 1870 he became an honorary canon of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford.
The photograph is a head and shoulders portrait of Father John Metcalfe Davenport. The handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Father Davenport, St. John Baptist, St. John, N. B." Printed at the bottom of the front of the photograph is the name of the studio, "W. & J. Notman - St. John, N.B." Research shows that John M. Davenport was a clerk for his father, a prominent commercial chemist in England, before turning to the priesthood and adopting Tractarian philosophies. At the age of 24 Davenport entered Exeter College, Oxford, graduating in 1871 and becoming a deacon the same year. He was ordained a priest in 1872, spending his early ministry as curate in Wolverhampton and then in the London parish of one of his uncles. He also began a lifelong association with the Society of St. John the Evangelist, an order oriented towards mission work. Richard Meux Benson, the founder of the Society of St. John the Evangelist, recommended Davenport when Bishop John Medley of Fredericton sought a priest for a new Anglo-Catholic congregation in New Brunswick. Davenport relocated to New Brunswick in 1882, taking over the Mission Chapel in Portland, now known as Saint John.
The photograph is a head and shoulders portrait of Reverend Kenneth Hind. The handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Rev. Kenneth Hind Assistant 1882-1885." and "with the [?] mail very Kind wishes." Printed at the bottom of the front of the photograph is the name of the studio, "WM. Notman - Halifax, N.S."
The photograph is a full-length portrait of Reverend Thomas Chamberlain. The handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Rev. T Chamberlain." Research indicates that Thomas Chamberlain (1810-1892) was Honorary Canon of Christ Church, Oxford. He was made a Student (Fellow) of Christ Church, Oxford in 1832 and became the vicar of St Thomas the Martyr, Oxford, only a mile or so west of Christ Church, in 1842. Chamberlain was a notable 'tractarians' among the incumbents of Oxford parishes. He was made an Honorary Canon in 1882.
The photograph is a full-length portrait of Dr. Brookes. The handwritten note on the back of the image reads "Dr. Brookes of Stanmore." Printed on the front on the lower left is the name of the studio and on the lower right the address; above this information in script is the word "Copyright."