- CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0365
- 1847 - 1874
The photograph is a seated portrait of Reverend William Bullock. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Halifax." According to research, William Bullock was a naval officer, Church of England clergyman, and hymn-writer; he was born on 12 January 1797 at Prittlewell, Essex, England and died on 7 March 1874 at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and he was buried in the Camp Hill Cemetery. Bullock went to Halifax in 1847 for temporary clery duty, after serving in St. John's, Newfoundland, serving as curate of St Paul’s Cathedral. Bullock later became the first dean of St. Luke's Cathedral Church when Queen Victoria made St Luke’s the cathedral church of the Diocese of Nova Scotia. In 1854 William Bullock published a collection of 166 hymns, titled "Songs of the Church," which he dedicated to the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The best-known of these hymns, “We love the place, O God,” composed for the opening of a new church in Trinity Bay, was later inserted in the official hymnbook of the Church of England.