Showing 431 results

Archivistische beschrijving
Stuk
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

306 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Joseph Pope portrait

  • CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0372
  • Stuk
  • 1869 - 1920

The photograph is a head and shoulders portrait of Joseph Pope. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Joseph Pope, one of the first servers at the church." Research indicates that Joseph was born 1854 to William H. Pope and his wife Helen.

Mr Ralph Brecken Peake portrait

  • CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0371
  • Stuk
  • 1860 - 1879

The photograph is a full-length portrait of Ralph Brecken Peake. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "R. B. Peake, an early member of the church." Research indicates that Ralph Peake (ca. 1845-1879) was the son of James Ellis Peake (1797-1860), who arrived in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, from Plymouth, England, in 1824 and established himself as a shipowner, shipbuilder, and merchant. James married Barbara Leila Alice Brecken in 1838, and they had at least six children: Elizabeth, Alice Brecken, James Jr., George, Ralph Brecken, and Fanny.

Due to his ill health, James and his family returned to Plymouth in 1856, and James died England in 1860. Ralph Peake returned to Prince Edward Island with his mother in 1866 and married Matilda Haviland. He was partner in Peake Bros. & Company until his death on 11 January 1879 at the age of 34.

PHOTO 0378 is a portrait of Matilda (Haviland) Peake.

Miss Elizabeth Haviland portrait

  • CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0370
  • Stuk
  • 1860 - ?

The photograph is a seated portrait of Miss Elizabeth Haviland. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Miss Elizabeth Haviland."

Mrs. Alexander portrait

  • CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0369
  • Stuk
  • 1860 - ?

The photograph is a seated portrait of Mrs Alexander. A handwritten note on the back reads "Mrs. Alexander."

Reverend Dr. John Mason Neale portrait

  • CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0368
  • Stuk
  • 1850's

The photograph is a three-quarter length portrait of Reverend Dr. John Mason Neale. The handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "D. Neale." Research confirms that the portrait is that of John Mason Neale (24 January 1818 – 6 August 1866), an Anglican priest, scholar and hymn writer. The name of the photographer, W. Walker & Sons, is shown on the front of the photograph, along with their address.

Reverend Edmund Wood portrait

  • CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0367
  • Stuk
  • 1868 - 1880

The photograph is a full-length portrait of Reverend Edmund Wood. A handwritten note on the back reads "Reverend E. Wood, St. John the Evangelist, Montreal." "Rev. Edmund Wood" is also written on the front.

Research suggests that Father Edmund Wood (1830-1090) founded the Parish of St. John the Evangelist in Montreal in 1861. He introduced the principles of the Oxford Movement to St. John’s and to the Diocese of Montreal. The parish was the first Anglican church in Canada to celebrate daily Mass and provide private Confession, and the first in Quebec to reserve the Blessed Sacrament. It is noted that St. John’s was the first parish in the diocese (and one of the first in the country) not to rent pews, in keeping with the principle that the church is open to all.

PHOTO 0308 shows the interior of St. John the Evangelist Church in Montreal.

Dr. William Connor Magee portrait

  • CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0366
  • Stuk
  • 1868 - 1891

The photograph is a head and shoulders portrait of Dr. Magee . A handwritten note on the front shows the words "Dr. Magee, Bishop of Peterborough."

According to research, the Very Rev Dr William Connor Magee DD DCL (17 December 1821 – 5 May 1891) was an Irish clergyman of the Anglican Church, who served as Bishop of Peterborough from 1868 to 1891 and as Archbishop of York for a short period in 1891.

Reverend William Bullock portrait

  • CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0365
  • Stuk
  • 1847 - 1874

The photograph is a seated portrait of Reverend William Bullock. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Halifax." According to research, William Bullock was a naval officer, Church of England clergyman, and hymn-writer; he was born on 12 January 1797 at Prittlewell, Essex, England and died on 7 March 1874 at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and he was buried in the Camp Hill Cemetery. Bullock went to Halifax in 1847 for temporary clery duty, after serving in St. John's, Newfoundland, serving as curate of St Paul’s Cathedral. Bullock later became the first dean of St. Luke's Cathedral Church when Queen Victoria made St Luke’s the cathedral church of the Diocese of Nova Scotia. In 1854 William Bullock published a collection of 166 hymns, titled "Songs of the Church," which he dedicated to the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The best-known of these hymns, “We love the place, O God,” composed for the opening of a new church in Trinity Bay, was later inserted in the official hymnbook of the Church of England.

Daniel Hodgson portrait

  • CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0364
  • Stuk
  • 1860 - 1870

The photograph is a seated portrait of Daniel Hodgson. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "One of the founders of St. Peter's Cathedral."

Daniel Hodgson

Dr. Brookes portrait

  • CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0362
  • Stuk
  • 1867-1868

The photograph is a full-length portrait of Dr. Brookes. The handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Dr. Brookes." Printed on the front on the lower left is the name of the studio and on the lower right its address; above this information in script is the word "Copyright."

Resultaten 21 tot 30 van 431