St. Peter's Cathedral Archives houses and makes available the Cathedral official archives, along with archival materials related to the church community in Charlottetown and across Prince Edward Island.
The photograph is a full-length portrait of Reverend Edmund Wood. A handwritten note on the back reads "Reverend E. Wood, St. John the Evangelist, Montreal." "Rev. Edmund Wood" is also written on the front.
Research suggests that Father Edmund Wood (1830-1090) founded the Parish of St. John the Evangelist in Montreal in 1861. He introduced the principles of the Oxford Movement to St. John’s and to the Diocese of Montreal. The parish was the first Anglican church in Canada to celebrate daily Mass and provide private Confession, and the first in Quebec to reserve the Blessed Sacrament. It is noted that St. John’s was the first parish in the diocese (and one of the first in the country) not to rent pews, in keeping with the principle that the church is open to all.
PHOTO 0308 shows the interior of St. John the Evangelist Church in Montreal.
The photograph is a full length portrait of two men in clerical dress. The largely illegible handwritten note on the back provides some identifying information: " Revds P[?]ichap and [Groyvine?]. Be [archon?] of the Deacon." It is possible that the names are Reverend [Pavichap] and Reverend [Groyvine], but this information has not been confirmed. At the bottom right is the name of the studio "W and A.H. Fry, Photos" and on the left the photographer's location "Brighton."
The photograph is a seated portrait of Reverend T. T. Carter. Below the photograph are printed the name of the photography studio, W. Walker & Sons, and its London, England, address. The handwritten note on the front of the photograph reads: "Rev. T. Carter." Research indicates that Thomas Thellusson Carter SSC (19 March 1808 – 28 October 1901), also known as T. T. Carter, was a significant figure in the Victorian Church of England. He was responsible for reintroducing Catholic practices to the church and for founding the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament. Carter also founded several charitable organizations and was a prolific writer on church matters. He served as Rector of Clewer, a parish in Berkshire, England, or 36 years. In 1870 he became an honorary canon of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford.
The photograph shows the entrance to a church with an unidentified gentleman in the doorway. The location of the church is unknown. The photograph was taken by a London-based photographer, suggesting the church may have been in England.
The photograph shows a portrait of Father Osborne. The name of the photographic studio is embossed on the bottom of the photograph. The inscription on the back reads "Fr Osborne S.S.J.E., held mission here 1883, Anglican Bp of Springhill IN." He preached at the Jubilee service of 1919.
One scrapbook containing newspaper clippings related to various topics, both church-related and otherwise. The book originally contained a number of loose newspaper clippings, which were removed and photocopied, then added to the newspaper clippings reference files. The book also contained a number of loose annual reports for the church, which were moved to the annual reports files. The clippings and reports contained no annotations or information that warranted their retention with the scrapbook, which appears to have been a loose compilation of materials over many years, by unknown persons.
The photograph is a head and shoulders portrait of Reverend Kenneth Hind. The handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Rev. Kenneth Hind Assistant 1882-1885." and "with the [?] mail very Kind wishes." Printed at the bottom of the front of the photograph is the name of the studio, "WM. Notman - Halifax, N.S."
The photograph shows a full-length studio portrait of a young boy in a suit. The back is inscribed with: "Mr Hodgson from his little friend Ernest" and "February 1884." Also written on the back are the words "Banner bearer" and "Wm. Schultz." The frame has "G.H. Cook" in script at the bottom left.