Series 900-20 - St. Peter's Cathedral Church service bulletins, programmes, and leaflets

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Peter's Cathedral Church service bulletins, programmes, and leaflets

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

CA PEI SPCA 900-20

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1869-2019 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Peter's Cathedral Church

Physical description area

Physical description

2.9 m of textual records, primarily printed service bulletins, programmes, or leaflets.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1867-)

Administrative history

As noted on the St. Peter's Cathedral Church website, the founding of St. Peter's was directly linked to a theological and liturgical revival of the Catholic tradition within Anglicanism, known as the Oxford or Tractarian Movement. This Movement began in England in the 1830's, and spread throughout the Anglican Communion worldwide. By the 1860's, some parishioners of the already long-established St. Paul's Church, in Charlottetown, had been exposed to the Oxford Movement through their travels, and wanted to erect a new church building where the teachings and liturgical observances of that movement could be reflected and practiced.

As noted in Wikipedia, St. Peter's, located on Rochford Square, corner of All Souls' Lane and Rochford Street, Charlottetown, was designated a cathedral in 1879 by Bishop Hibbert Binney, the Bishop of Nova Scotia. Over the years, it has served as a second cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Nova Scotia (now called Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island). (The principal cathedral of the diocese is All Saints' Cathedral in Halifax, Nova Scotia.) Attached to the west side of the cathedral is All Souls' Chapel, which was designated as a National Historic Site in 1990.

Land for the new church was made available by Mr. William Cundall, and construction began in 1867. By the spring of 1869, the building was completed, and Mr. Cundall then officially gave the land to the church on June 1, 1869. The opening services were held on June 13 of that year, but the Cathedral was not consecrated until the Feast of St. Peter, June 29, 1879. It was constructed in an area of the city known as West Bog. St. Peter's School was opened in 1872 the girls' school three years later. [[confirm when they closed]]

Following Oxford Movement traditions, choir members have worn surplices since the opening of the church. As early as 1872 the Rood Screen was erected and the seven hanging lamps placed in the sanctuary. The envelope system was adopted in 1876, and the pews have always been free. Altar candles have been used since 1877, and Eucharistic vestments since 1889. Originally, chairs were used at St. Peter's. In 1928, these were replaced by pews of dark walnut-coloured Douglas fir. The pulpit is the design of William Critchlow Harris, the brother of Robert Harris the artist, whose paintings beautify All Souls' Chapel. William Critchlow Harris was also the architect of All Souls' Chapel. The High Altar (complete with an Altar Stone) is still in its traditional position. Behind the Altar are statues of the Lord and four evangelists (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).

The first priest incumbent was Reverend George W. Hodgson, who served from 1869 to 1885. After Reverend Hodgson's death, Father Armstrong from Toronto and Father Smythe from the West Indies acted on an interim basis until Canon James Simpson was appointed the second Priest Incumbent in 1886 [[1887?]], serving until his death in 1920. A former master at Port Hope School, Canon Simpson had as his assistant the Reverend Thomas Henry Hunt. Canon Simpson, along with Mr. William Critchlow Harris (architect) and Mr. Robert Harris, C.M.G. (artist), were largely responsible for the creation of All Souls' Chapel.

Canon Elwyn Mortimer Malone, originally from Antigua, followed Canon Simpson, serving from 1921 to 1952. It was during his tenure of office that the property ceased to be vested in Trustees and was turned over to the Rector, Wardens, and Vestry.

In 1952 Canon Gerald E. Moffatt became Rector of the Cathedral, serving until 1958. Archdeacon J. R. Davies became Rector in 1958 and remained until 1967. Archdeacon G. S. Tanton, the second Islander to serve at St. Peter's after George Hodgson, became Rector in 1967, retiring in 1975. [[1974 or 1975?]]

In 1974, Canon H. M. D. Westin became the seventh Parish Priest and served until his retirement in October 1990. Aside from his spiritual and pastoral work as a dedicated priest, he is remembered for his founding of what is now the annual Atlantic Theological Conference, which continues to be held annually. To publish the proceedings of these conferences, St. Peter Publications was established in [[year]]. It publishes a book containing the papers presented at the previous year's theological conference, as well as "A Canadian Church Calendar", Common Prayer Commentaries, a Sunday School curriculum, and numerous books, pamphlets and tracts. For a number of years, St. Peter Publications also produced a quarterly periodical, The Anglican Free Press.

The next Rector, The Reverend Canon Peter Harris, from Nova Scotia, served for almost two years as Assistant Priest, starting in April 1989, before being appointed Rector at the end of 1990, continuing to the end of November 2014. The Reverend David Garrett succeeded Canon Harris as Rector in December 2014.

A new parish hall attached to the cathedral was erected in 2004, replacing an older hall that had stood on that site for over 100 years.

Custodial history

The service leaflets in this series dating from 1869-1973 were found during the processing of the backlog of records held by St. Peter's Cathedral Church, which were relocated from the church bell tower to the church basement and then into a purpose-built archival room. In addition, some bulletins from 1974-1989 were found in other backlogged material, and still others were transferred from the church office to the archives in 2019. Bulletins from 1996 to 2015 were maintained in the church office in chronological order, and two copies were retained for many years.

Scope and content

The service bulletins series consists of bulletins, programmes, and leaflets prepared for St. Peter's church services and other special events. The regular service bulletins include information about the order of service as well as announcements and notices for the benefit of parishioners. Special service bulletins relate to funerals, weddings, confirmations, youth programmes, concerts, and ordinations, as well as leaflets about flowers for different services.

At least one copy of every bulletin found in the backlog has been retained, but the series is not complete and there are gaps in the records over the years. This series will expand as recent bulletins are transferred from the church office to the Archives.

A small selection of bulletins are described individually, with PDF copies produced for reference, if the bulletins relate to audiovisual recordings of the services in question. There is no plan to digitize all service bulletins at this time.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

The current arrangement is generally by year. The box/file list outlines specific arrangement decisions in the notes. Users are requested to maintain the order documents are presented in each file and to note any gaps or inconsistencies in the records, which will help the Archives seek out missing documents.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A box and file list is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Additional service bulletins will be added to the archives regularly.

General note

LOCATION: SPCA BOX 100, SPCA BOX 101, SPCA BOX 102, SPCA BOX 103, SPCA BOX 104, SPCA BOX 105, SPCA BOX 106, SCPA BOX 107, SPCA BOX 108, SPCA BOX 109, SPCA BOX 110, SPCA BOX 111, SPCA BOX 112, SPCA BOX 113.

Physical description

The volume in each box is as noted below:
Box 100 = 24.5 cm
Box 101 = 24.25 cm
Box 102 = 26.75 cm
Box 103 = 24.5 cm
Box 104 = 21.75 cm
Box 105 = 22 cm
Box 106 = 21.75 cm
Box 107 = 21 cm
Box 108 = 20.25 cm
Box 109 = 19.75 cm
Box 110 = 16 cm
Box 111 = 12 cm
Box 112 = 10.5 cm
Box 113 = 22.75 cm

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Canada

Institution identifier

PEI SPCA

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Hollinger box: Service Bulletin collection