Title and statement of responsibility area
Diocesan Church Society Archives
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1886-2017, N.D. (Creation)
- Diocesan Church Society
Physical description area
1.1 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In the late 1700s, as the Church of England became established in Canada, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (S. P. G.) supported clergymen, providing funds to support living costs and to assist with other expenses. in the early 1800s, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (S. P. C. K.) took on the task of supplying books for use of churches in different parts of the country, working alongside the S. P. G.
A "Church Society of the Archdeaconry of New Brunswick" was formed in 1837 to take over the duties of the S. P. G. and S. P. C. K, such as to carry out missionary visits, establish scholarships for study, provide aid for Sunday Schools and other schools, supply books and tracts, and aid in the building and expansion of churches. In 1847, that society was renamed "The Diocesan Church Society of New Brunswick" and expanded its mission to provide support for the construction of parsonages and to create a fund to help with incapacitated clergy, widows and orphans of clergy, and the children of clergy. A comparable society was founded in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in 1840, and incorporated in 1852. Other societies were formed in other parts of Canada, apparently often in response to diminishing financial support from the Church in England. The Society was still in existence as of 2007.
The Diocesan Church Society Archives form part of the St. Peter's Cathedral Church archives, which were relocated from the church bell tower to the church basement and then into a purpose-built archival room. The records had been stored in boxes and bags at one point and original order was lost. Additional materials related to the Diocesan Church Society were added to the archives as work on the backlog was carried out and volunteers donated related materials. Files were constructed from documents found among the Archives’ backlog as part of the DHCP-funded archival processing project. Additional documents were found loose in boxes or in other locations around the church.
The custodial history of the Diocesan Church Society archives is unclear but it appears as though members of St. Peter’s Cathedral Church served in different capacities on the Diocesan Church Society and retained official records as part of their duties, which were stored in various locations in the church. This file list shows documents in BOX order, but sometimes the documents do not appear in chronological order. Users should read the file list carefully to ensure they locate all materials relevant to their area of inquiry.
Scope and content
The Diocesan Church Society archives consist of annual reports, minutes, correspondence, secretaries files, and other business records related to the work of the society from the late 1800s to the first decade of the 21st century. Annual reports for the society are available from 1886 to 1888, with the following gaps: 1887, 1912, 1915, 1917, 1920, 1980, 1985. The only annual reports for subsequent years are one copy for 1998, one copy for 2007, and one copy for 2017.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A file list is available.
Uploaded finding aid
The Provincial Archives and Records Office of Prince Edward Island holds copies of Diocesan Church Society from 1940 to 1964 in microform, including minutes of the Diocesan Church Society 1840-1964, financial records 1840-1868, correspondence and related material. Also includes extensive notes and correspondence on the history of the Anglican Church in Prince Edward Island by T.Edgar MacNutt, long time secretary of the Society. The PARO materials are identified as Acc 3643.
LOCATION: SPCA BOX 66, SPCA BOX 67, SPCA BOX 68, SPCA BOX 69, SPCA BOX 70, SPCA BOX 71, SPCA BOX 72, SPCA BOX 73, SPCA BOX 74, SPCA BOX 75