Title and statement of responsibility area
Mothers' Union Island-Wide Renewal photographs
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Grafisch materiaal
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the photographs
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
4-5 November 1988 (Vervaardig)
- Mothers' Union -- Prince Edward Island Chapter
12 10 x 15.5 cm colour photographic prints and 12 negatives of the same images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
The Mothers’ Union was founded in England in 1876 by Mary Sumner, who wanted to create an organization for women that built a network of rich and poor to support mothers to raise their children in Christian faith. By 1909, the Mothers’ Union had become the largest voluntary women’s organization in Britain. In 1952, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II granted her royal patronage to the Mothers’ Union. In 1996, some 125 members of the Mothers’ Union became priests in the Church of England, following the Synod’s approval of the ordination of women.
The Prince Edward Island chapter of the Mothers’ Union was formed in March 1982. Among the activities undertaken by the local group included: hosting pancake breakfasts on the first day of Sunday School in early September; baking simnel cakes (a form of fruitcake) as part of Mothering Sunday; participating in the annual Christmas pageant; stitching needlepoint covers for church kneelers; organizing “Winter Games” events (evening gatherings of parishioners and others to play card games and board games in the church hall in winter); and holdings prayer sessions and meetings for members. The Mothers’ Union also provided support for refugees and newcomers to the Island and created a “link letters” activity comparable to “pen pals”. An Island-wide renewal meeting was held in November 1988. A major project for the Prince Edward Island chapter was the creation of a Mothers’ Union banner, which was unveiled on 24 May 1992. The banner still hangs in the church, as of 2020. Mothers’ Union activities began to decline as the Binney Group and Inglis Group became more active, eventually ceasing operations around 1995.
The photographs form part of the collection brought together by St. Peter's Cathedral Archives volunteers.
Bereik en inhoud
The photographs show participants in the Mothers' Union Island Wide renewal in November 1988. Only Photograph A of the delegates from St. Peter's has been scanned. The delegates in the images need to identified. Other information about the event is located in Mothers' Union Box 78
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
PERMISSION FOR USE OTHER THAN RESEARCH PURPOSES IS REQUIRED FROM ST. PETER'S CATHEDRAL ARCHIVES. QUESTIONS REGARDING COPYRIGHT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER
NO FURTHER FINDING AID IS AVAILABLE
The photographs were removed from Fonds 013: Mothers' Union Archives, Box 78.