Title and statement of responsibility area
Mothers' Union Meetings photographs
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Grafisch materiaal
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the photographs
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Mothers' Union -- Prince Edward Island Chapter
Eight 10 x 15.25 cm colour photographs. Note that Photos 0424 F G H are the same with different focal lengths.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
The Mothers’ Union was founded in England in 1876 by Mary Sumner, who wanted to create an organization for women that built a network of rich and poor to support mothers to raise their children in Christian faith. By 1909, the Mothers’ Union had become the largest voluntary women’s organization in Britain. In 1952, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II granted her royal patronage to the Mothers’ Union. In 1996, some 125 members of the Mothers’ Union became priests in the Church of England, following the Synod’s approval of the ordination of women.
The Prince Edward Island chapter of the Mothers’ Union was formed in March 1982. Among the activities undertaken by the local group included: hosting pancake breakfasts on the first day of Sunday School in early September; baking simnel cakes (a form of fruitcake) as part of Mothering Sunday; participating in the annual Christmas pageant; stitching needlepoint covers for church kneelers; organizing “Winter Games” events (evening gatherings of parishioners and others to play card games and board games in the church hall in winter); and holdings prayer sessions and meetings for members. The Mothers’ Union also provided support for refugees and newcomers to the Island and created a “link letters” activity comparable to “pen pals”. An Island-wide renewal meeting was held in November 1988. A major project for the Prince Edward Island chapter was the creation of a Mothers’ Union banner, which was unveiled on 24 May 1992. The banner still hangs in the church, as of 2020. Mothers’ Union activities began to decline as the Binney Group and Inglis Group became more active, eventually ceasing operations around 1995.
The photographs form part of the collection brought together by St. Peter's Cathedral Archives volunteers
Bereik en inhoud
The photographs show Mothers' Union meetings. Photos 0424 A B C D show members of the Mothers' Union and Father Westin, participating in meetings in the Cotton Room at St. Peter's Cathedral Church; the meetings were held after a Mothers' Union service. Photos 0424 E F G H show some unidentified Mothers' Union members in a private home. Photos 0424 C D G have been scanned.
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
PERMISSION FOR USE OTHER THAN RESEARCH PURPOSES IS REQUIRED FROM ST. PETER'S CATHEDRAL ARCHIVES. QUESTIONS REGARDING COPYRIGHT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER
NO FURTHER FINDING AID IS AVAILABLE
Further identification is needed. Photos have been removed from Mothers' Union Box 31 O/S