Item PHOTO 0365 - Reverend William Bullock portrait

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Reverend William Bullock portrait

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

W. Notman

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA PEI SPCA PHOTO 0365

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1847 - 1874 (Creation)
    Note
    Appointment to Halifax

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph on sepia-toned photocarte 10.25 x 6.25 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

Originally received from Pete Paton circa 2006; accessioned as 090963 by Joshua Smith and Michael Smitherman. The photograph forms part of the collection brought together by St. Peter's Cathedral Archives volunteers.

Scope and content

The photograph is a seated portrait of Reverend William Bullock. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Halifax." According to research, William Bullock was a naval officer, Church of England clergyman, and hymn-writer; he was born on 12 January 1797 at Prittlewell, Essex, England and died on 7 March 1874 at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and he was buried in the Camp Hill Cemetery. Bullock went to Halifax in 1847 for temporary clery duty, after serving in St. John's, Newfoundland, serving as curate of St Paul’s Cathedral. Bullock later became the first dean of St. Luke's Cathedral Church when Queen Victoria made St Luke’s the cathedral church of the Diocese of Nova Scotia. In 1854 William Bullock published a collection of 166 hymns, titled "Songs of the Church," which he dedicated to the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The best-known of these hymns, “We love the place, O God,” composed for the opening of a new church in Trinity Bay, was later inserted in the official hymnbook of the Church of England.

Notes area

Physical condition

Good

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

PERMISSION FOR USE OTHER THAN RESEARCH PURPOSES IS REQUIRED FROM ST. PETER'S CATHEDRAL ARCHIVES. QUESTIONS REGARDING COPYRIGHT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER.

Finding aids

NO FURTHER FINDING AID IS AVAILABLE

Associated materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Canada

Institution identifier

PEI SPCA

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Biographical information was drawn from the entry for Bullock in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography, at http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/bullock_william_10E.html.

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres