Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade
St. Peter's Cathedral Monthly magazine
Designação geral do material
- Documento textual
Outra informação do título
Título e menções de responsabilidade
Notas ao título
- Fonte do título próprio: Title of series is based on the title of the publication itself.
Nível de descrição
Código de referência
Zona de edição
Menção de edição
Menção de responsabilidade da edição
Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais
Menção da escala (cartográfica)
Menção da projecção (cartográfica)
Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)
Menção da escala (arquitectura)
Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)
Zona de datas de criação
1923 - 2003 (Produção)
- St. Peter's Cathedral Church
Zona de descrição física
[[x]] cm of textual records: published copies of the Cathedral Monthly magazine.
Zona dos editores das publicações
Título próprio do recurso continuado
Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor
Outra informação do título das publicações do editor
Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo
Numeração das publicações do editor
Nota sobre as publicações do editor
Zona da descrição do arquivo
Nome do produtor
As noted on the St. Peter's Cathedral Church website, the founding of St. Peter's was directly linked to a theological and liturgical revival of the Catholic tradition within Anglicanism, known as the Oxford or Tractarian Movement. This Movement began in England in the 1830's, and spread throughout the Anglican Communion worldwide. By the 1860's, some parishioners of the already long-established St. Paul's Church, in Charlottetown, had been exposed to the Oxford Movement through their travels, and wanted to erect a new church building where the teachings and liturgical observances of that movement could be reflected and practiced.
As noted in Wikipedia, St. Peter's, located on Rochford Square, corner of All Souls' Lane and Rochford Street, Charlottetown, was designated a cathedral in 1879 by Bishop Hibbert Binney, the Bishop of Nova Scotia. Over the years, it has served as a second cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Nova Scotia (now called Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island). (The principal cathedral of the diocese is All Saints' Cathedral in Halifax, Nova Scotia.) Attached to the west side of the cathedral is All Souls' Chapel, which was designated as a National Historic Site in 1990.
Land for the new church was made available by Mr. William Cundall, and construction began in 1867. By the spring of 1869, the building was completed, and Mr. Cundall then officially gave the land to the church on June 1, 1869. The opening services were held on June 13 of that year, but the Cathedral was not consecrated until the Feast of St. Peter, June 29, 1879. It was constructed in an area of the city known as West Bog. St. Peter's School was opened in 1872 the girls' school three years later. [[confirm when they closed]]
Following Oxford Movement traditions, choir members have worn surplices since the opening of the church. As early as 1872 the Rood Screen was erected and the seven hanging lamps placed in the sanctuary. The envelope system was adopted in 1876, and the pews have always been free. Altar candles have been used since 1877, and Eucharistic vestments since 1889. Originally, chairs were used at St. Peter's. In 1928, these were replaced by pews of dark walnut-coloured Douglas fir. The pulpit is the design of William Critchlow Harris, the brother of Robert Harris the artist, whose paintings beautify All Souls' Chapel. William Critchlow Harris was also the architect of All Souls' Chapel. The High Altar (complete with an Altar Stone) is still in its traditional position. Behind the Altar are statues of the Lord and four evangelists (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).
The first priest incumbent was Reverend George W. Hodgson, who served from 1869 to 1885. After Reverend Hodgson's death, Father Armstrong from Toronto and Father Smythe from the West Indies acted on an interim basis until Canon James Simpson was appointed the second Priest Incumbent in 1886 [[1887?]], serving until his death in 1920. A former master at Port Hope School, Canon Simpson had as his assistant the Reverend Thomas Henry Hunt. Canon Simpson, along with Mr. William Critchlow Harris (architect) and Mr. Robert Harris, C.M.G. (artist), were largely responsible for the creation of All Souls' Chapel.
Canon Elwyn Mortimer Malone, originally from Antigua, followed Canon Simpson, serving from 1921 to 1952. It was during his tenure of office that the property ceased to be vested in Trustees and was turned over to the Rector, Wardens, and Vestry.
In 1952 Canon Gerald E. Moffatt became Rector of the Cathedral, serving until 1958. Archdeacon J. R. Davies became Rector in 1958 and remained until 1967. Archdeacon G. S. Tanton, the second Islander to serve at St. Peter's after George Hodgson, became Rector in 1967, retiring in 1975. [[1974 or 1975?]]
In 1974, Canon H. M. D. Westin became the seventh Parish Priest and served until his retirement in October 1990. Aside from his spiritual and pastoral work as a dedicated priest, he is remembered for his founding of what is now the annual Atlantic Theological Conference, which continues to be held annually. To publish the proceedings of these conferences, St. Peter Publications was established in [[year]]. It publishes a book containing the papers presented at the previous year's theological conference, as well as "A Canadian Church Calendar", Common Prayer Commentaries, a Sunday School curriculum, and numerous books, pamphlets and tracts. For a number of years, St. Peter Publications also produced a quarterly periodical, The Anglican Free Press.
The next Rector, The Reverend Canon Peter Harris, from Nova Scotia, served for almost two years as Assistant Priest, starting in April 1989, before being appointed Rector at the end of 1990, continuing to the end of November 2014. The Reverend David Garrett succeeded Canon Harris as Rector in December 2014.
A new parish hall attached to the cathedral was erected in 2004, replacing an older hall that had stood on that site for over 100 years.
The St. Peter's Cathedral Monthly magazine series produced by St. Peter's Cathedral Church forms part of the St. Peter's Cathedral Church archives, which were relocated from the church bell tower to the church basement and then into a purpose-built archival room. The records had been stored in boxes and bags at one point and original order was lost.
Âmbito e conteúdo
The series consists of copies of St. Peter's 'Cathedral Monthly' magazine, a magazine produced by the church to share social events and other news about activities and events across the church community. The following background about the Cathedral Monthly is adapted from information provided on the St. Peter's Cathedral Church website in March 2004 (http://www.stpeter.org/cathmon.html, accessed 14 February 2020):
The 'Cathedral Monthly' has its roots in a publication of that name that was first produced in St. Peter's Cathedral Parish during the incumbency of Canon E. M. Malone. Over the years since then, there have from time to time been various parish newsletters. The name 'Cathedral Monthly' was revived under the editorship of Peggy Holland (now Peggy Williams) in 1991, when she began editing and producing a monthly parish newsletter. Since then, the 'Monthly' continued up to 2004. The name "Monthly" was retained even in more recent years, when the publication was not produced monthly but every two months or so, except during the summer.
From the 1990s to the 2000s, approximately 300 copies of each issue were printed for parishioners, and another 20 copies were made available for subscribers and gift subscriptions. The money paid by subscribers and received as donations paid the cost of printing and mailing these copies.
Editors in the 2000s included Paula Connolly and June McKarris.
As noted in the 2004 description on the church website, the vision of June McKarris, as editor, was as follows: "each group or organization in the church should contribute a report for each issue of the Monthly. This way, those parishioners who do not get out to church on a regular basis and those of us who do attend each Sunday would be kept apprised of what is going on in our parish. June feels that the 'Cathedral Monthly' is a perfect instrument to showcase our beautiful Cathedral and the hard work many of our groups perform to sustain our present level of success. She is aware that many parishioners are interested in reading what is in the Personal and Parochial section, and she depends on you to pass on any information that you can for this column."
Publication of the magazine ended in 2003.
The copies available in St. Peter's Cathedral Church Archives appear to provide a complete run of the magazine. Additional copies are available for reference and display purposes.
Zona das notas
Fonte imediata de aquisição
Idioma do material
Script do material
Localização de originais
Disponibilidade de outros formatos
Restrições de acesso
NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS
Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação
Instrumentos de descrição
A contents list is available.
Instrumento de pesquisa transferido
LOCATION: SPCA BOX O/S 24, SPCA BOX O/S 25, SPCA BOX O/S 26